The Asian Vape Association (A.V.A.) is dedicated to educating the public and government officials about public health benefits offered by vapor technology.
Our goal is to provide science-backed research on vapor products, as well as provide options and considerations for communities or decision makers when implementing laws or policies that regulate e-cigarettes in Asia.
Our areas of action cover the following.
AVA is committed to providing an alternative to combustible tobacco products for Asian adult smokers:
- AVA endorses selling only to adults
- AVA and its members have not and do not market to minors
- AVA and its members support an Asia-wide age standard on the sale of vapor products
Responsible Labeling and Packaging
In order to provide the high-quality, reliable product the industry strives to create, AVA aims to institute the following standards in order to assure vapor products are appropriately marketed, packaged, and sold:
- AVA and its members do not make any health or cessation marketing claims not appropriately supported by science
- AVA and its members support packaging that prevents easy access to children.
- AVA and its members support appropriate labeling – including ingredient listing,
and all appropriate warnings
- AVA and its members support the development of industry consensus standards
Establishing “Good Manufacturing Practice” (GOP)
Additionally AVA encourages its members to:
- Aim to only use FDA certified “Generally Recognized as Safe” (GRAS) for human ingestion products in their e-liquids
- Institute expert mixing processes; including employee training and the use of sterile rooms
AVA also recognizes that the science behind this new industry is not yet settled. We believe that the science will confirm vapor products are an innovative and disruptive force in the marketplace that provide the potential to transition millions of Asian away from combustible cigarette smoking. Additional research must be performed in the following areas:
- The relative harm reduction potential of transitioning away from combustible cigarette smoking to vaping
- Toxicity and exposure studies
- Behavioral studies reflecting the role of customizable products in cessation
- Additional studies on adult flavor preferences and their role in smoking
- AVA supports a public education campaign – both to highlight these products are intended only for adult use and to highlight their potential for adult smokers.
Reasonable Tax Policy
The Association recognizes e-cigarettes as a harm reduction tool and understands the need for taxations:
- AVA and its members support a reasonable taxation policy on only nicotine
containing components of e-cigarettes